Minnesota Youth Symphonies (MYS) is one of the nation’s premier youth orchestra education programs. MYS is dedicated to conservatory-level orchestral training for students.
Our students come from all over Minnesota and western Wisconsin and from a wide variety of economic and cultural backgrounds to play in MYS orchestras. While many of students hail from Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Twin Cities suburbs, some are from as far away as Rochester, Hudson, Bemidji, and St. Cloud. MYS holds weekly Saturday rehearsals at Highland Junior High School in St. Paul.
Every week these students spend Saturdays studying and playing fantastic music with some of the finest conductors and music educators in Minnesota.
- Three full orchestras and one string orchestra with approximately 400 students participating annually
- Scholarships so no qualifying student is turned away for financial reasons
- Sectional coaching with the Minnesota Orchestra and other professional musicians
- Weekly classes in theory, composition, and solfége
- Three major concerts annually and community concerts at various metropolitan locations
- Retreat weekends for each orchestra
- Music and Melody Makers and Children’s Concert Club - a hands-on introduction to the instruments of the orchestra and reduced-rate concert tickets for children