Summer Programs Intern
TYPE: Paid internship, part-time
START DATE: June 2019
Job Summary: This intern position is an educational opportunity for a recently graduated high school senior or college student. The position will help to run several important summer programs—our yearly auditions and a summer camp for younger string players. The goal for this internship is that the person gain an understanding of these programs from beginning to end, and that they understand the basic functioning of a small nonprofit organization like MYS. To that end, we will help to facilitate learning by offering as much practical experience as possible. Please note that the hours of the internship will coincide with our program schedule. The person in this position must have access to a reliable car and must have the physical capacity to lift at least 40 lbs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Must be enthusiastic, take initiative and be willing to contribute ideas
• Must be respectful of staff, students, parents, board members, volunteers and patrons
• Must be able to work in a team environment and individually
• Must be able to support the philosophies and standards of MYS
• Must behave in a professional, respectful and appropriate manner as outlined in the “Respectful Environment” section of the MYS Administrative Guidelines and Policies manual, including the MYS policies regarding harassment and sexual harassment and anti-discrimination.
1. Assist Operations Manager and Communications Coordinator with preparation for auditions.
2. Assist with students, parents and other duties as assigned during auditions—June 1,8,11-14
3. Assist with audition follow up and placement materials.
4. Assist artistic staff with Summer Chamber String Orchestra program from June 17-21 and Wind Orchestra camp from June 24-28.
5. Assist Head Librarian with music for Summer Chamber String Orchestra and/or audition books as needed.
6. Act as a rehearsal and concert assistant as needed for rehearsals on Saturday 1st, 8th, 15th and Symphony Showcase concert on Wednesday, June 19th.
1. Assist Operations Manager with materials and supplies needed for auditions.
2. Assist Operations Manager in following up with parents and families if needed.
3. Assist Operations Manager during auditions with tasks as needed, including running auditioning students to the audition room and handling dinner break orders.
Summer Chamber String Orchestra and Wind Orchestra Camp
1. Assist artistic staff with daily set up and tear down for the camp.
2. Assist with music distribution and collection.
3. Assist with students as needed, including taking attendance and helping students transition to different classes throughout the day.
4. Assist with snacks and breaks.
5. Assist with events such as a concert.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please forward your resume and a cover letter to Amelia Firnstahl, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain opened until filled.
Minnesota Youth Symphonies is an equal opportunity employer. It maintains policies and practices that are designed to prevent discrimination against any qualified employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability and medical condition to the extent protected by law. This policy of nondiscrimination applies to all employment practices, including hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, training, and termination.